Insane Clown Posse, R.A. The Rugged Man, and Lyte at The Well
Celebrating the 20th anniversary of their fourth album, The Great Milenko, Insane Clown Posse booked a show in Brooklyn, NY on Monday, October 23, 2017, which was presented by AdHoc. The concert was initially scheduled to occur in North Williamsburg venue, Villain, but that show along with others were relocated to other locations. ICP’s show was then rebooked to take place at Brooklyn Bazaar in Greenpoint and when that happened, all I could think about is how their space, a former event and catering hall, would have their carpets and mirrors covered in soda and how that would need to get cleaned. Maybe this was a concern for them as well as this show was then moved a third and final time to The Well, in East Williamsburg, where it took place outdoors in their courtyard. After this third move, I took it as a sign that I should attend since I live about a ten minute walk from The Well.
In July 1999, I went to Woodstock and my first Insane Clown Posse experience happened during that festival. My friend and I watched their set from way in in the back because we were aware of their love of spraying Faygo soda on fans and didn't want to participate in that. It ended up being a wise decision on our part because we were there multiple days without access to showers (or inexpensive drinking water and food). Nearly two decades later, I attended a show where they headlined and stood up front to take photos (and showered once I got home, thankfully). Here are my thoughts and observations from last night:
- R.A. the Rugged Man, who I saw back in July at Rocksteady Crew's 40th Anniversary show in Central Park is not a fan of fog from smoke machines.
- Insane Clown Posse fans (a.k.a. Juggalos) are a faithful and devoted bunch. Although they went on stage after the show was scheduled to end, I was reassured by a Juggalo that Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope would totally perform even after The Well’s hard curfew (and they did!).
- Juggalos & Juggalettes are also sweet, well maybe not the woman next to me who shoved her way up front and repeatedly told (or was it warning) security guards that “it’s gonna get LIT!” (I guess she was right?)
- Faygo burns a little if it gets in your eye.
- How do they have so much Faygo on hand? They must travel with it as it's not available in NYC.
- I remember songs from The Great Milenko rather well despite not listening to that album in over ten years. It’s funny how our brains work like that sometimes.
- I heard the word "butthole" so many times in one night.
- Insane Clown Posse's set was probably one of the toughest shoots I've done since I was actively trying not have myself or my gear covered in soda (I lasted about three songs up front thanks to that and the Faygo getting in my eye thing mentioned earlier).
- Chants of "whoop whoop" and "family" were too numerous to count.
- No matter how much Faygo you think ICP will spray on their fans, it’s way more than you can truly imagine (and incessant, especially during the final song where the Faygo Armageddon happens).
Like many of the Brooklynites who attended, I was curious what an ICP show would be like in 2017. I'm happy to report it was a fun, albeit a very wet and sticky, experience.